Disney Marathon Training Week 3: 8/31-9/6

These training logs will be more like an online running log, each section written on the day the run took place.

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.17.16 PM(that 1366 calories looks awesome! HA!  I did not lose half a pound this week, unfortunately…)

Monday 8/31

Maintenance run, in my neighborhood

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 4.36.01 PMI tried to take it easy on this run because my knee was “twinge-y.”  It was a little warm during the run, mid-70s, and sunny. I had originally planned to run downtown, but changed my mind.  I need to find other, easily accessible running routes so I don’t get bored.  Plus, the roads in my neighborhood are canted which could be contributing to my knee pain.

I stretched well after the run, and iced my knee.  I plan to ice it twice more today, and three times tomorrow.

Tuesday 9/1

Barre class at the gym:  Because I now have to drop off my daughter at school at 8:45, I can no longer go to the 8:30 barre class I’ve been attending all summer.  Luckily, there is one at 12:15.  I got there early to get a pass, but this turned out to be unnecessary.  There were only about 6 people in the class (including my mom, love working out with her).  My knee bothered me a bit during the plié portion so I might need to work on not going so low.

I felt like I was successful in completing all the reps for each exercise (very hard to do in this class).

That afternoon, I watched both my children during their gymnastics classes.  My son is in an all boys Level 1 class now, and wow do they do some difficult stuff!

That evening I made my weekly banana bread (my kids favorite) and watched Wrigley chase birds.

The kids always want to add chocolate chips

The kids always want to add chocolate chips

Successfully saved family from robins

Successfully saved family from robins

Wednesday 9/2

30 Minute Run at Swamp Rabbit Trail (Greenville, SC)

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 11.36.03 AM

Are you on Garmin Connect? I’m carrieknitrun

It was so humid!  The humidity was just killing me, especially since the weather had seemed so nice the past few days.  I couldn’t start the run until about 9:30 AM because of school drop-off, and it was just so hot.  I wish I had gotten up at 5:30 instead of waiting.

There were quite a few runners out training, it was nice to see.  I saw a couple of people I know.

I had to stop and walk around in a circle for about 2 minutes here at Falls Park until I felt refreshed enough to continue

I had to stop and walk around in a circle for about 2 minutes here at Falls Park until I felt refreshed enough to continue

Whew! So dizzy with humidity I felt no shame at taking a ridiculous picture

Whew! So dizzy with humidity I felt no shame at taking a ridiculous picture

Thursday 9/3

“Rest” Day:  Today I cleaned the entire downstairs (did the upstairs yesterday); dusted, swept, and mopped the porch and porch furniture; swept the patio; swept the spiderwebs from the eaves of the house; and washed off the front porch.  Plus I did laundry, and made bread.  My UP24 was impressed:


I’m going to knitting night at a friend’s house, hooray!



Friday 9/4

7 mile long run on roads near my neighborhood

I decided to run a slightly different route than I had in the past.  I ran through and then out of my neighborhood and then on sidewalks past some businesses and other neighborhoods near me for 3.75 miles, then I came back the same way.  I actually live in the same neighborhood in which I grew up.  This route was particularly nostalgic: I ran past the bagel shop where I used to eat breakfast sometimes before school (and we still go pick up bagels here on weekends), past what used to be the TCBY where we would stop after school for the occasional treat, past the elementary school where my mother was Assistant Principal, and all the way up past my old middle school (well, the original building has since been torn down and rebuilt).  This provided quite a bit of distraction.

I was a bit nervous about this run because I haven’t run longer than 5 miles since March, and that 5 miler was only two weeks ago.  Seven miles is a long way, and I wasn’t sure I was ready.  Also, I’d be running later in the morning than I typically do for long runs.  Normally, I start long runs (in summer and early fall, warm weather) around 7:00 AM on a Saturday.  Because we are leaving early in the morning for the beach tomorrow, I had to get the run in today.  First, I had to get my kids ready for school.  After seeing my 1st grader off to school, I dropped off M at my mother’s house so she could take her to school and I could get my run started earlier to avoid some of the heat.

The first 3 miles were great, I took it slow.  The past two years I’ve just been working on “getting it done” when it comes to training.  Running pretty much at the same pace, some speedwork thrown in, just to get the miles in and finish the race in good shape.  Now that I’m more confident and more experienced, I’d like to work on my pacing, which is essentially nonexistent.  My pacing strategy up to this point has been just to go at a comfortable pace, and generally I stay that pace for the entire race.  I do think my race times could improve a bit without speedwork, just by learning to run negative splits (when each subsequent mile in your run is slightly faster than the previous).

Well…. it could’ve gone better.

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.08.30 PMI noticed during mile 3 that I was going faster than I wanted, but I just couldn’t slow down for whatever reason.  I did try!  Mile 4 looks slower because it was about halfway, so I stopped and walked a bit and drank some water.  Mile 5 a bit too fast. Mile 6 was just the worst.  Uphill and I was so hot, I had to walk a few times, as you can see on my pacing below.

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.08.00 PM

I hope I’ll get better at this.  My goal marathon pace is an average of 12:00 per mile.

I could not wait to get back into my neighborhood (shady trees!) for the last mile.  I was also feeling a little bit of pain in my right glute and calf (radiating sciatia from overdoing it with the housework yesterday).

After the run, I decided to really do recovery right, just to get into the habit.  Training for a marathon is all about recovering from long runs, right?  So I stretched, drank some water, even sat in a cold bath for 15 minutes (really babying myself), and iced everything that hurt during the run (my knee, of course, and the ball of my right foot).  Then I ate a Greek yogurt for some carbs and protein, and foam rolled.  Perhaps this routine is a bit much for such a “short” run, but I need to develop this habit.

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 12.07.34 PM

I plan to rest tomorrow and Sunday at the beach (one last mini-vacation before fall).

How did your training go this week?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s